A little less than 25 miles northwest of Boston, the town of Chelmsford was established as early as 1655, less than 30 years after the pilgrims arrived at Plymouth. For most of its history Chelmsford's main industries were from processing lumber and limestone kilns. However in the 1950s, Route 3 and Rt. 128 were connected, and the population doubled over the next two decades thanks to the easier commute.
Chelmsford is divided into five areas, the North, South, West, East, and Westlands. The South still displays much of Chelmsford's history and is fairly rural, while the North is more of an urban, industrial village and has some of its own town services. Chelmsford is at the intersection of Rt. 495 and Rt. 3, and also offers access to Rt. 3A, 110, 129. It shares its borders with Lowell, Tyngsborough, Billerica, Carlisle, and Westford.