A town with a population of approxmately 31,000, Dracut was originally home to the Pernacook American Indians. Dracut was incorporated into the Commonwealth in 1701, and in the 19th century became known for mills processing paper and textiles. Dracut is divided into five villages, Collinsville, East Dracut, Dracut Center, Kenwood, and the Navy Yard.
Dracut has numerous natural attractions including the Merrimack River, fishing at Pawtucket Falls, and swimming at Lake Mascuppic Beach, one of 8 park areas maintained by the town. Dracut is approximately 35 miles north of Boston and is near Rt. 93, Rt. 495, and Rt. 3. Dracut shares its borders with Tyngsborough, Methuen, Lowell, Tewksbury, Andover, and Pelham, NH.